Sunday, June 8, 2008

Engine Tear Down


With the help of a great web tutorial, I've managed to almost fully disassemble the engine. I'm a little concerned about the case seal, as we had to pry a little to get the case to split. I also had to grind through a little post that was seized so badly that it wouldn't budge (even after a soak in Liquid Wrench.) I'm going to get a second opinion on the case edge before I proceed much farther. It may end up being cheaper to buy a new engine rather than try to fix this one. I'm already estimating around $500 to get this one going again. If I can salvage the cylinder, I will save a lot of money, but a Polini 177cc performance cylinder is very appealing.

I haven't got the crank removed yet, as the main bearings are stuck on pretty good. I've read that adding some heat will help free them.

Up next, disassemble the clutch.

1 comment:

Tom Lutzenberger said...

You need a bearing puller to take the bearing off the crankshaft on your flywheel side. The clutch side main bearing should stay put inside the case. If you heat up the case with a propane blowtorch, you should be able to tap out the old bearing easily.

Tap from the clutch side, not the other way. Beware the circlip on the clutch side. You don't want to lose that and you don't want to hammer it. If you do, you will break the case and it will be useless as a result.